My allergies seem to get worse with each new year… maybe that’s my bodies way of letting me know I’m doing something wrong.
This year, I’ve decided to set the medication aside and combat my Spring allergies naturally.
We are learning that many of the issues that crop up with our bodies have a direct correlation to our diet, so it makes sense to remove irritant foods and substances (like chemical cleaners) and add beneficial foods, herbs and supplements.
Here are some tips for fighting allergies naturally:
- Use a Neti Pot with celtic sea salt and distilled water. This will help keep your nasal passages clear.
- Add a probiotic supplement to help increase your immune system (in addition to the GI benefits) or eat lots active yogurt.
- Take a tablespoon or two of local, raw honey each day.
- Start the morning with a peppermint herbal tea or hot water with lemon juice.
- Take your vitamins and add echinacea and goldenseal.
- Use HEPA filters for your air and vacuums.
- Steam things up, take a hot shower or hang out in the sauna.
- If you experience sinus pressure, try acupressure on your temples and the sides of your nose. Chewing gum sometimes helps alleviate the pressure as well.
- Eat a (mostly) vegetarian diet, there is no doubt that our bodies do better when we don’t have to process meats.
- Exercise. Get outside when pollen is the lowest (early morning is usually best when the dew is on the ground keeping everything at bay).
- Keep your floors clean. Dust, dander and pollen love to fly around. Vacuum and mop frequently. I don’t sweep as it moves the offenders around.
Have the kids do the same things you are in child sizes. Be sure to check with the pediatrician about dosing of vitamins, supplements and herbs.