I remember as a child experimenting in the kitchen with recipes and concocting my own. It takes a special parent to allow children free reign in the kitchen, as the results can be disastrous, but the experimentation and wonderful ideas that result are worth the risk. My daughter loves to cook, and we have purchased several kids cookbooks for her. One of her favorite recipes (and a family favorite too) is adapted from Handstand Kids. I just love the fact that she can make this all by herself!
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup organic dark or semi-sweet chocolate (or use sweetened cocoa powder in a pinch)
- 4 cups organic soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- Melt the chocolate in double boiler (we don’t own a microwave)
- Heat milk on medium-low heat
- Add chocolate to warm milk and whisk
- Add in the spices
My daughter loves to experiment with spices and has added nutmeg, cayenne, and allspice with success.