Since childhood, I’ve been a fan of Beatrix Potter’s The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Little did I know that Beatrix was an environmentalist and “staunch conservationist”, which makes me love her books even more. Her legacy is now making eco-friendly products to accompany her classic tale. In addition to the book, we tried out:
- Peter & Jemima Rattle Stick ($8.00)
- Peter Rabbit Organics Spring Garden Baby Shampoo ($9.99):
Certified 100% organic ingredients make up 86.6% of this product; the remaining 13.4% is natural derived.
From Econatura; certified organic active healing New Zealand manuka beeswax, blended with organic botanicals and oils to help protect and soothe your baby’s skin. Effective on, chafed, flakey, irritated and sensitive skin. Certified organic ingredients make up 98.3% of this product. The remaining 1.7% is natural derived.
The Peter Rabbit Organics line is part of the Naturally Better Initiative that “promotes products that are made from entirely safe, recyclable, sustainable and ethically responsible sources”.
Would I buy these products? Yes. Maybe it is because of my affinity for Beatrix Potter, or maybe it is because the company clearly discloses the percentage of certified organic ingredients, but whatever the reason, I think these products are high quality and affordable and cute! In addition, the beauty products are made in the USA (but not the toys). As the company states:
These unique products are produced in accordance with the World of Beatrix Potter initiative, backed by a Corporate Social Responsibility Charter, with the aim of developing products which are: better for the environment, better for mothers and children, and better for the people who make them.
If your family is like mine, pets are an integral part of the family unit. Our dogs and cats deserve the best food, just like our children, especially considering their short life span compared to humans. Holistic Select makes quality pet food!
Holistic is defined as emphasizing the importance of the whole and the interdependence of its parts. At Holistic Select, we believe that whole body health begins by feeding and nourishing the body with functional foods and ingredients that can be found within nature’s vast bounty…
It is both proven and believed that prevention is the best medicine. It’s true for pets too and our Holistic Select products are a proactive way to prevent health problems in our pets before they start. We realize that holistic health for your pet begins by feeding Holistic Select — only you can provide the love and daily care they need to truly achieve their whole health potential.
Conventional pet food is really nasty and contains “slaughterhouse waste“. You don’t have to worry about cancerous ingredients when you feed your beloved pets Holistic Select. Our cat and dogs tried out:
When developing our recipes for adult dogs, the equation for health is simple. We start with a single premium protein source – Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal, wholesome grains and healthy fat sources. We then combine them with our unique Select Actives™ to create a final recipe that delivers optimum natural nutrition for daily whole-body health.
100% Complete For Kittens And Adult Cats. Omega 3-Rich Fish Meal Oils, Menhaden Fish Oil and Flaxseed For Superior Coat & Skin. Organic Quinoa. Includes a farm stand blend of Carrots, Peas, Alfalfa, Blueberries, Apples and Cranberries. Cranberries aid a healthy urinary tract.
We start with premium proteins, wholesome grains and healthy fat sources. We then combine them with our unique Select Actives™ plus additional benefits to create a final recipe that delivers optimum natural nutrition for daily whole–body health.
When considering a diet for cats, one must be aware that the most common medical reason pet parents take their cats to the veterinarian is for urinary tract issues. Holistic Select Canned Duck & Chicken Recipe is designed to encourage healthy acidic urine and contain lower levels of magnesium, which is a contributing cause of Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD).
Holistic Select® Canned Salmon & Shrimp Recipe provides multiple quality protein sources with added vitamins, minerals, fruits and vegetables.
Would I buy this product? Yes. Like all natural pet food, it is more expensive than the conventional kind that contains allergic grains and fillers, as well as low quality protein. Given the way my dogs and my cat gobbled it down, I would say they approve!
3. Elemental Herbs Organic Kids Sunscreen (SPF 20) and All Good Lips Certified Organic Lip Balm (SPF 12)
It’s always fun discovering new herbal beauty products that are made with organic ingredients and are safe for children.
Elemental Herbs started with a simple, beautiful vision, best described by its name: to harness the natural powers of the environment’s purest, most elemental ingredients and organic herbs in order to offer natural healing products that are good for people and good for the earth.
We tested out two Elemental Herbs products:
ALL GOOD LIPS Our smooth textured organic lip balms contain the same organic healing herbs as our All Good Goop with the addition of essential oils for soothing and refreshing tastes on the lips. Consider them healing balms for the lips that fit in your pocket. All SPF flavors are oxybenzone free.
Antioxidant rich, certified organic green tea leaves and rose hips, infused in certified organic extra virgin olive oil set this sunscreen apart from all others. It offers broad UVA/UVB protection with the added herbal benefits of skin rejuvenation. Chemical free, biodegradable and safe for kids’ skin.
I really like the lip balm, as it is very soothing and does not wear off right away. The sunscreen is also very soothing, and it only leaves a slight white tinge to the skin, unlike Burt’s Bees Sunscreen that leaves me looking like a ghost. Elemental Herbs sunscreen is also available in a tinted version and does not contain nano-particles.
Would I buy these products? Yes. I think they are both very nice and affordable. The sunscreen costs $8.99, and the lip balm is only $3.50! All of these products are made in the USA and contain certified organic ingredients.
Kids of all ages love to play dress up! Tie this dramatic play to children’s literature and the foundation is laid for later reading success! Pipperoos makes a sea ensemble kit that includes a storybook and four costumes. The costumes are made in Turkey and are very cute. They fit a child ages three to six, although my almost nine-year-old had to squeeze into them to play along with her younger brother, and many of them fit.
The Key in the Sea is a little bit awkward, but it does provide many ideas for props and play. It can also serve as a foundation for children to make up their own sea stories. The costumes are super cute, but there isn’t much about this product that is eco-friendly. Each costume is wrapped in plastic bags that contain recycle symbols, but good luck finding a facility that will take them. The costumes are made of synthetic fabrics, and the book is not printed on recycled paper. That being said, my children love, love, love the costumes and were very excited to play with them. Besides, studies have shown that sophisticated dramatic play is crucial for children’s cognitive development.
One redeeming earth-friendly quality of Pipperoos is they are donating 50% of their summer profits to Gulf Oil Spill clean up efforts.
Would I buy this product? No. As much as my children love it, it doesn’t hold up to my eco-friendly standards and costs $75. If I am going to spend that much money on costumes, I want them to be made from silk. In fact, after playing with this set for awhile, my daughter suggested they make their own costumes out of her play silks.
It can be hard to find eco-friendly plush, and children love soft toys. Zubels has created a line of hand knit toys.
Zubels are hand knit with exceptional quality by talented artisans from 100% all-natural cotton. Brilliant hues of eco-friendly dyes are used to make each character come to life. They are individually hand stuffed to perfection to make them irresistibly huggable. Their unique textures and hand embroidered detail give each Zubel an extraordinary touch.
Each hand knit character is a safe alternative to many of the mass produced items and are suitable for children from birth and up. Zubels wash beautifully and they are also budget friendly. Prices start under $15 which make Zubels one of the most affordable knit toys on the market.
These toys are really cute and remind of something a skilled grandmother would make.
Would I buy this product? Probably not. I like more traditional plush dolls, but I would probably be swayed to buy Zubels if the cotton was organic. I do like that these toys are made in Peru.
Disclosure: The products described above were sent to us as free samples, unless noted differently in the review. Prior assurances as to the nature of the reviews, whether positive or negative, were not given. No financial payments were accepted in exchange for the reviews. The reviews reflect our honest, authentic opinions.