Yesterday, I did something I haven’t done in a long time…I baked. Inspired by a recipe in a cookbook we were sent to review ([amazon_link id=”1472304497″ target=”_blank” ]TLC Kitchen[/amazon_link]), I made the the Absolute Best Gluten-Free Flourless Almond Cake! The best part about it, other than its amazing flavor, is I had all the ingredients except the ricotta. Here’s the recipe:
The Absolute Best Gluten-Free Flourless Almond Cake!
- 1 cup organic ricotta
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 1/4 cups organic, raw almonds (2 cups ground, 1/4 cup sliced)
- 1 organic lime
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Using a food processor or blender, grind 2 cups of almonds. I only buy organic raw almonds from Italy or directly from a farmer, as the almonds in the US are not truly raw. Raw almonds are not necessary, but I think they have a much better flavor even when baked.
- Butter a cake pan and preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Separate the eggs and set aside.
- Finely grate the lime peel to make zest and set aside.
- Beat ricotta, egg yolks, almond extract and sugar together. Add the ground almonds and lime zest.
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then fold gently into the almond mix with a rubber spatula.
- Place in the cake pan and bake 60 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds (you can do this in the food processor) on top. You could also use chopped almonds.
- Once fully cooled, sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve! YUM!
There were a few challenges with this cake. Removing it from the pan and the wire rack was difficult, as it is a little crumbly and wanted to break apart. That little bit of effort was well worth it though! I am so in love with this cake!