Many couples struggle with infertility. Two years ago we reported on a Harvard study that found BPA may be to blame for 20% of unexplained infertility. But what about the other 80%?
Could GMO corn be contributing to male infertility?
According to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, “In approximately 40 percent of infertile couples, the male partner is either the sole cause or a contributing cause of infertility.” 1)https://www.asrm.org/detail.aspx?id=2322
A new study from Egypt has found GMO corn consumption negatively affected the fertility of male laboratory rats. 2)http://www.nationofchange.org/2015/07/07/new-study-gmo-corn-makes-rats-infertile/
GMO evidence explains:
In this Egyptian study, histopathological examination was carried out on the rats fed the GM maize, and the results were compared with rats fed non-GM maize. The study found clear signs of organ pathology in the GM-fed group, especially in the liver, kidney, and small intestine. An examination of the testes revealed necrosis (death) and desquamation (shedding) of the spermatogonial cells that are the foundation of sperm cells and thus male fertility – and all this after only 91 days of feeding.3)http://www.gmoevidence.com/dr-el-shamei-gm-maize-cause-death-of-spermatogonial-cells/
91 days or in about three months, the death and shedding of sperm cells from the consumption of GMO corn is of grave concern. This is rather quick when you consider the majority of Americans are consuming GMO corn.
An astounding 93% of corn grown in the USA is genetically engineered. 4)http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods/about-ge-foods#
Studies conducted in 2004, 2010, and 2014 further support the evidence that GMO food consumption affects fertility in mice, pigs, and hamsters of both sexes:
In 2004 research carried out at the University of Pavia considered the possible effects of a diet containing genetically modified (GM) soybean on mouse testes. Changes that could cause infertility problems in the mice testes were identified and the role that glyphosate could have caused in this was also discussed in the research findings.
In 2010 an experiment carried out jointly by the Russian National Association for Gene Security and the Institute of Ecological and Evolutional Problems showed that Campbell Hamsters lost the ability to reproduce after being fed GM soy for 2 years.
In 2012 after long research, Jerry Rosman discovered his pigs couldn’t reproduce because of genetically engineered corn. They produced sacs of water—false pregnancies. As a result, he’s become an organic farmer and proponent of organic foods.5)http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/01/15/gm-bt-corn-causes-infertility-rats-new-egyptian-studies/#.VaKnLWCVuXN
Infertility is a complex issue. There are many contributing factors.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports the following infertility :
Number of women ages 15-44 with impaired fecundity (impaired ability to get pregnant or carry a baby to term): 6.7 million
Percent of women ages 15-44 with impaired fecundity: 10.9%
Number of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile (unable to get pregnant after at least 12 consecutive months of unprotected sex with husband): 1.5 million
Percent of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile: 6.0%
Number of women ages 15-44 who have ever used infertility services: 7.4 million6)http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/infertility.htm
Although infertility rates have actually dropped (impaired fecundity has increased)7)http://www.livescience.com/38877-infertility-rates-drop-united-states.html, couples struggle and spend millions of dollars on fertility treatments. Although increased human population is perhaps the greatest problem facing our changing climate (see: Should we stop having children to save the earth), to a couple that wants children this is no consolation.
The safety of GMO food is questionable. The potential of GMO corn to negatively affect male fertility is just another example in a long list of concerns.
References [ + ]