We love this meal, but, to be honest, we hardly ever eat these burritos for breakfast–they’re a quick and easy dinner, and can be personalized to meet different tastes within your family. Another great feature is that you can make them vegan, vegetarian, or with animal products. Our vegan friends first served them to us, but we adapted them to our more ovo-lacto vegetarian tastes.
Breakfast Burritos(serves 4)
8 tortillas (whole wheat, corn, or flour)
6 eggs or 16 oz firm tofu, pressed, then crumbled
8 slices bacon or soy bacon OR 8 oz crumbled sausage or soysage
1/2 bag frozen hash browns
16 oz shredded cheddar or soy cheese
salt and pepper
avocado, sliced (optional)
sour cream or vegan sour cream (optional)1.Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
2. Scramble the eggs or saute the tofu with salt and pepper.
3. Cook your meat or analog in microwave or stovetop according to package directions.
4. Set up an assembly line with your tortillas. Fill each tortilla with a slice of bacon or spoonful of sausage, a few spoonfuls of egg or tofu, a small handful of hash browns, and a few sprinkles of cheese.
5. Roll up the burritos and place, side by side, in a 8×13 cake pan or casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
6. Sprinkle with more cheese (optional).
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the (optional) cheese on top is bubbly or until the burritos are cooked through.
8. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or avocado slices.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
[This post was written by Kelli Best-Oliver]