Editor’s note: Please read the comments below. This company has come under scrutiny by consumers.
I’ve been noticing more and more people from all walks of life using metal water bottles. At about half the price of other stainless steel water bottles, non-profit Eco Canteen’s mission is to get as many people as possible off of bottled water, since 80% of plastic water bottled are not recycled. Of the plastic water bottles that do make it to the recycling center, 40% of them end up in China or Indonesia.
Here are some staggering statistics about the detrimental environmental effects of plastic water bottles:
- 2.5 million disposable water bottles are thrown away in the US every hour.
- In 2007, $16 billion was spent on bottled water.
- 20 oz. of bottled water costs almost as much as a gallon of gas.
- Discarded plastic water bottles take 700 to 1,000 years to break down.
- A 20 oz. bottle of water takes 5 oz. of oil to produce and ship.
- Dioxin, one of the deadliest air pollutants, is created when unrecyclable PVC is separated from PET/PETE #1 plastic water bottles and then incinerated.
Switching to a reusable stainless steel water bottle is a simple step your family can take to be greener.