I have made about a dozen recipes in our stoneware Crock-Pot, and by far, our favorite is this vegetarian soup recipe that can be made with either split peas or lentils and is equally delicious!
Vegetarian Split Pea or Lentil Soup
Add to your slow cooker the following ingredients in order, in layers:
- 2 cups organic lentils or split peas
- 3 organic carrots sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery (including leaves) chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 8 cups vegetable broth or water with equivalent Organic Vegetable Bouillon.
Cook on high for five hours or low for ten hours.
This recipe can be made on the stovetop, but you will lose the slow cooking benefits, as well as the easiness of just tossing it in, letting it cook, and filling your house with the aroma all day. A woodstove also is a great substitute for a slow cooker.
Photo: Some rights reserved by t-dubisme