Four Hidden Home Hazards Parents Should Be Aware Of
Parenting certainly does not come with a handbook and sometimes you don’t even notice the dangers facing you and your family even when they are right under your nose. Having awareness for these home hazards can help you prevent them and keep you and your loved ones safe.
Any parent knows that a child’s lack of understanding causes curiosity, and curiosity often leads to trouble. They love to explore and often pick things up and put them in their mouths without second guessing. This is why it is very important to have child safety locks on cabinets that contain any cleaners or toxic household goods and to keep medicine cabinets high and out of reach of your children. Be sure that all cleaners and medicines are put away immediately after use, and always have the number for poison control handy, 1-800-222-1222, in the event that your child has an accident.
You have to be really careful when it comes to detecting carbon monoxide (CO) in your home. What makes CO so dangerous is that it cannot be seen or smelt, and if it is not noticed right away, it has the ability to be fatal. Make sure that you do not power on generators, cars, lawn lowers or anything else that produces CO in any enclosed spaces. In addition, be sure to have a CO alarm in your home, which should be out in the open and not blocked by any furniture, curtains, toys, etc. It could be only a matter of minutes before CO can turn deadly. Make sure you are always using caution to keep your children safe.
Mold itself is not toxic; however, it does product toxins and can cause upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughing, and wheezing. Unlike carbon monoxide, you can see and smell mold. In order to avoid these problems, you should invest in a dehumidifier or air conditioner to keep out humidity and moisture from your home. Because it can be detrimental to your children, especially those with asthma or weak immune systems, it is important you take immediate action to get rid of it. If a problem is noticed, you can use bleach to clean it up or, in more extreme cases, hire a professional.
Dust mites develop in humidity and moisture, just as mold does, which is why it is essential to keep the air conditioner and dehumidifier going throughout the summer. Another way in which they are like mold is that they can also cause problems in children with asthma. In addition, they can cause hay fever reactions, so it is very important that you keep them out of your home in order to keep your children healthy. They are often found in your bed, so make sure that you are washing all bedding on a regular basis. It is even smart to invest in an anti-allergy mattress covers.
By taking these simple precautions, you can save your children from mild to severe sicknesses or even death. Just remember to always use child safety locks, check to make sure all batteries in your CO alarm are working multiple times a year, and keep your home clean and free of moisture and humidity. Not all accidents are avoidable, but this will significantly cut down the risk of danger in your home for you and your family.
Brittney Marino is a writer for Total Mortgage Services. For the past fifteen years, Total Mortgage has combined the personal service and integrity of a local lender with low rates, convenience, speed, and know-how of a national lender.
Image: B0008353 Dust mite (Photo credit: wellcome images)
Leave a Reply