Questions to Ask an AKC Golden Retriever Breeder
It is easy to fall in love with a playful pup nuzzling his furry little face into your neck. However, before you decide to bring that ball of fluff into your home, keep in mind that the way a dog is bred has a huge impact on the type of dog you are receiving and the experience you will ultimately have. Here are a few questions to ask an AKC golden retriever breeder before committing to a purchase.
- How old are each of the parents? Golden retrievers need be a fully mature two years old before issues can be officially cleared by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and other health officials.
- Have both parents been cleared of eye issues, heart and thyroid disease, epilepsy, allergies and seizures? Be sure to request the documentation on each of these.
- How often has the mom of this litter been bred? You will want to be wary of breeders who breed the bitch in consecutive heat cycles.
- Do you offer written contracts in the purchase of one of the pups? An AKC golden retriever breeder should provide this with every sale.
- How long have you been breeding golden retrievers? The longer a breeder has been in practice, the more knowledgeable they will be about any potential health issues and ethical concerns of breeding.
- Which organizations are you a part of? An active participant in clubs dealing with golden retrievers can indicate a genuine concern and interest in the breed.
- Should there be any issues that arise, can the pup be returned to the breeder? The answer should be a yes, if within a reasonable amount of time. This should be clearly outlined in the contract.
- Is there documentation of the pedigree of the parents, as well as extended generations?
- Is there documentation of health clearances for multiple generations?
- Can you provide references? A good breeder should be able to provide references for former customers, veterinarians with whom they have worked, and others in the industry who have seen their practices over time.
Working with an AKC golden retriever breeder can be a fun and educational experience when finding that next addition to your home. Make sure you ask the right questions upfront to ensure a quality relationship and a happy and healthy canine.