We try to avoid traditional medicine as often as possible, but we will treat with medications that are necessary (antibiotics after a 72 hour wait, rescue medicine for asthma, etc…).
My mission this winter is to keep my children as healthy as possible and not have a repeat of last winter (15 Doctor visits, mostly for the six year old). We are doing a few things different to help achieve this.
- Honey (local and raw) is a great immune system builder. Give each child (over the age of one) 1-3 teaspoons each day.
- Run a vaporizer or humidifier with essential oils such as tea tree or eucalyptus each night.
- Vitamins: Take 100% of the RDV each day, when fighting illness take 500 mg of vitamin C every few hours (water soluable vitamin, so you will excrete what isn’t used). Look for vitamins that come from whole food.
- Hydrate: Drink lots of water. If you need incentive to get fluids in the kids, try herbal tea sweetened with agave diluted 100% juice.
- Eat healthy, organic, whole foods. The best nutrition comes from fresh (local) and organic foods. Fueling your body correctly is the base for a healthy life.
- Use a Neti Pot. It will keep your nasal passages clear.
When you do get sick, look for natural remedies like Sinupret Kids and Sinupret +. Sinupret Kids is a healthy, natural sinus support serum. It is made from European Elder, Common Sorrel, Cowslip, European Vervain and Gentian and also contains water, maltitol, ethyl alcohol, and cherry flavor. It is gluten free, which is a necessity for any product given to our children.
Currently, we are in our first round of trying out Sinupret for Kids. The liquid is clear and doesn’t taste bad, it is slightly bitter at first with a sweet cherry flavor. The taste lingered on my tongue, similar to a numbness (which is a good thing if one has a sore throat!). I am excited to see my children breath easier and have less gunky noses!
Related Posts about Natural/Homeopathic Remedies: