It is not often you see a company disclose exactly the percentages of natural and organic ingredients, and when they do, it makes my job as a review much easier. Melvita is such a company that adheres to EcoCert’s strict standards for cosmetics:
The basic principles of the Ecocert standard
To ensure an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the Ecocert standard lays down:
1. The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources, manufactured by environmentally friendly processes. Ecocert therefore checks:
- The absence of GMO, parabens, phenoxyethanol, nanoparticles, silicon, PEG, synthetic perfumes and dyes, animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.).
- The biodegradable or recyclable nature of packaging.
2. A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming to be reached to obtain certification:For both labels, Ecocert Standard imposes that a minimum of 95% of the total ingredients come from natural origin.
- For the natural and organic cosmetic label:
A minimum of 95% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
- For the natural cosmetic label:
A minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
/!\: Some ingredients very frequently found in cosmetics (water, salts, minerals) cannot be certified as organic because they are not sourced from farming. For example, shampoos and some creams, mostly composed of water, contain between 10% and 40% organic ingredients, and always 95% natural ingredients. An essential oil, which does not contain water, can be up to 100% organic ingredients.
3. On site audit is performed by an Ecocert auditor.
We were sent Melvita Toothpaste For Children.
This mild, fluoride-free toothpaste protects and cleans children’s teeth with a gentle strawberry flavor. This enticing blend contains wheat bran to prevent tooth decay, bamboo to protect enamel, and grapefruit pip and echinacea to prevent tooth decay.
99.30% of the total ingredients from natural origin
31.36% of the total ingredients from Organic Farming
This toothpaste also contains xylitol, which has been proven to prevent cavities. It is safer than fluoride, as there are no harmful effects if children swallow it (although you should keep it away from dogs).
I really like Melvita products, a company I have only just discovered. I feel better about my children using this toothpaste over [amazon_link id=”B001EJOQ9W” target=”_blank” ]Tom’s of Maine Natural Fluoride-Free Toothpaste for Children, Silly Strawberry (Pack of 6)[/amazon_link], which contains sodium lauryl sulfate.
Disclosure: I was sent free samples of these products to review. No prior assurances were given as to whether the review would be positive or negative.