Light & Airy Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Sponge Cake
This gluten-free sponge cake is a sure thing! This super light and fluffy cake is based on an old Italian recipe.
- 6 organic eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup one-to-one gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp lemon extract or almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Separte the egg yolks from the whites and place in separte bowls.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemon yellow in color. Add the sugar gradually. Then add the water, lemon peel, and lemon extract. Finally, add the cup of gluten-free flour.
- Beat the egg whites until they are frothy. Add the cream of tartar and salt, then continue to beat until the mixture becomes stiff.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 9-inch angle food pan (tube pan). Bake at 325 degrees F for one hour.