When apples become a little less fresh for eating raw, apple crisp is a great way to prevent food waste. This easy recipe is great for homeschool activities during the Coronavirus Pandemic and is really delicious. It requires only basic ingredients, many of which are easily substituted. For example, if you don’t have coconut sugar, substitute brown sugar. If you don’t have walnuts, use almonds.
Easy Gluten-free, Vegan Apple Crisp
- 4-6 Apples sliced I don't peel my apples, but you may wish to.
- 1 Juice from one lemon (optional)
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar (or cane, brown sugar) If you want it sweeter or have tart apples, increase sugar to 2/3 cup
- 1 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 cup Gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup Ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup Gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Coconut sugar (or cane or brown)
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans (or almonds)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine all of the filling ingredients together and toss. Place in a glass 9" x 13" pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle evenly on top of the apple filling.
- Bake for 50 minutes uncovered.