Strawberry Coconut Shortcake Tart
This luscious dessert is a creamy mixture of rich coconut butter, juicy strawberries, aromatic vanilla and sweet agave nectar — perfect for serving at special parties.
- Two 4-inch (10 cm) quiche molds, lined with plastic wrap
- 1 cup chopped hulled strawberries, 250 mL divided
- 1⁄2 cup coconut butter (see Tips) 125 mL
- 6 tbsp raw agave nectar, divided 90 mL
- 3 tbsp filtered water 45 mL
- 1 tsp raw vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1 cup whole raw almonds 250 mL (see Tips)
1. In a blender, combine 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) strawberries, coconut butter, 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) agave nectar, water and vanilla. Blend at high speed until smooth, stopping machine to scrape down sides of jar as necessary (see Tips, left).
2. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process almonds until flour-like in consistency. With the motor running, drizzle in remaining agave nectar. Pulse to combine.
3. Divide mixture in half and press into prepared quiche molds. Top with strawberry-coconut purée, dividing equally. Top with remaining strawberries, dividing equally. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
You may need to add a bit more water in Step 1, depending on the texture of the coconut butter. If the mixture is too thick, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) water at a time as needed.
Coconut butter is a blend of coconut oil and coconut meat. You can usually find it in natural foods stores next to the coconut oil.
Try substituting an equal quantity of cashews for the almonds.
Makes 2 servings