I’m usually not phased by food recalls, including the recent peanut butter recall, because they rarely affect natural food companies. I don’t eat Little Debbie crap, and I certainly don’t eat Keebler products.
Today, however, I discovered a natural, organic product I occasionally eat on the peanut butter recall list: Clif Bars.
On January 19, 2009, we announced a voluntary recall of 14 U.S and 4 Canadian products including CLIF Bar, CLIF Builder’s, CLIF MOJO, CLIF Kid Organic ZBaR and LUNA Bar, in the U.S. and Canada because the peanut butter in those products was sourced, for a limited period of time, from the Peanut Corporation of America (PCA). PCA is a manufacturer and supplier of peanut butter for many food companies and manufacturers.
PCA is under investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for a recent Salmonella outbreak thought to be caused by tainted peanut butter. In light of this investigation, and with an abundance of caution, Clif Bar & Company has enacted a voluntary recall. We take the health and safety of our consumers very seriously.
The plant responsible for the salmonella contamination has laid off workers and shut down, but I doubt they will receive the death sentence like Chinese dairy executives involved in the melamine scandal.
The following products are affected by the peanut butter recall:
- CLIF BAR Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
- CLIF BAR Crunchy Peanut Butter
- CLIF BAR Peanut Toffee Buzz
- CLIF Builder’s Peanut Butter
- CLIF Kid Organic ZBaR Peanut Butter
- LUNA Nutz Over Chocolate
- LUNA Peanut Butter Cookie
- MOJO Honey Roasted Peanut
- MOJO Mixed Nuts
- MOJO Mountain Mix
- MOJO Peanut Butter Pretzel
- MOJO Dipped Chocolate Peanut
- MOJO Dipped Peanut Butter and Jelly
- MOJO Dipped Fruit and Nut
In Canada, the following 4 products are included in the peanut butter recall:
- CLIF® BAR Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch / Brisures de Chocolat aux Arachides Croquants
- CLIF BAR Crunchy Peanut Butter / Beurre d’ Arachide Croquant
- CLIF® BAR Peanut Toffee Buzz® / Toffee et Arachides
- CLIF Builder’s Peanut Butter / Beurre d’Arachide
I sometimes grab a CLIF BAR Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch for a midday snack, but not anymore. My kids enjoy them too, so it’s time to scourge our cabinets to make sure we don’t have any of these potentially salmonella contaminated peanut butter products in our home.