10 kids ingested windshield wiper fluid at a daycare in Little Rock, AR. The kids, aged 2-7, each had about one ounce of the fluid. One child had a high blood level of methanol, which can cause blindness.
Mmm. Delicious florescent drinks. This is what happens when electric blue kids’ beverages look just like poisons.
But no, really: how did this happen?
Apparently, one of the daycare staff had gone shopping (buying some products that have nothing to do with caring for children) and another put the groceries away. Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock, said of the incident:
This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator.
So the chilled, nasty stuff was given to the kids and each drank a bit before realizing that the stuff tasted “wrong.”
Child welfare authorities are investigating the daycare owner.
Turns out, mercury in high fructose corn syrup is not the biggest worry for parents. If your child is drinking “juice” that looks nothing like any fruit on the planet, let’s just make sure it’s not poison, eh?
Inage: furryscaly on Flickr under a Creative Commons License.