In the cloth diapering life, parents get on this quest to find The Perfect Cloth Diaper. Now, I’m not sure that I have my grubby little hands on the Holy Grail of cloth, but it’s darn close.
It’s the Fuzzi Bunz One Size diaper.
In my perusing the cloth diapering world and in my experience working for a natural parenting store, I’ve definitely had the opportunity to check out many nappies. I even snagged a few hand-me-down Fuzzi Bunz fitted diapers before Baby E was born. Soft, durable, great absorbency.
That’s why I was so excited to give the new Fuzzi Bunz One Size a whirl.
I’m a Bum Genius gal. I mean, my son makes me a Bum Genius gal…I don’t personally wear them! They were the first cloth diaper I tried. And I liked that I could switch to cloth diapers when my older son was hitting the potty training months and then still use the diapers for the baby in my tummy. It was a real, “Why haven’t I been doing this all along?” moment for me.
See, one size diapers are like that. They can last for your child’s entire cloth diapering life, and then you can pass ’em on to the next kiddo.
My wonderful, free-spirited, high-energy, stubborn Baby E is now 14 months. When he’s not cosleeping with us, he’s sleeping in his bed in our room. I mention this because Daddy and I occasionally pop Baby E back in his bed in the morning to play while we get in a few more minutes of snuggling.
That’s when I discovered how horribly, terribly wrong life with those Velcro-like enclosures can go. Baby E discovered he could Viola! pull those tabs, pull off his diapers….and you guessed it: have fun with whatever is inside. When I discovered him, my “OMG!” had a big F in there.
Time to find a new overnight cloth diaper! And the Fuzzi Bunz One Size was the answer to my prayers.
- Aesthetics: I have always loved the vibrant array of colors that Fuzzi Bunz offers. Alright, so I get that a diaper is only technically a poop collector, but who says it has to be drab? Give me a royal blue or grass green baby butt any day.
- Design: A biggie. The snaps are a lifesaver, for the reason I mentioned above. The snaps make both the legs and waist adjustable. They, along with elastic, allow this diaper to grow with babies of different shapes and sizes.
- Performance: Did I mention that in my 10-hour overnight test, it did not leak? Yeah, I trust it for a few hours at a time during the day. But overnight, it doesn’t leak! A big yay, saving me from both the poop monster and the leaky boy and all the extra clothes/bed linens/toys that would have to be washed along with the diapers.
- Softness: It has a fleece interior, which in Fuzzi Bunz tradition, is very soft. No joke, when I pulled this out, Baby E grabbed it, put his head on it, and said, “Ohhh,” his little way of giving a hug. (This was before the first use, folks!) For those of you who prefer organic: I just gave an organic one size diaper the test drive. For diaper rashes, I will only use those or my Fuzzi Bunz to relieve the redness before going to a Bum Genius. It is simply that gentle on his skin.
- Affordability: We’re all looking for that nowadays, aren’t we? If you’re a first-time cloth diaper user, I highly recommend going for one sized diapers. Many companies offer discounts if you buy ’em in bulk. (Then later, if your child reaches an “awkward” stage, you can pick up a fitted diaper or two to get a snug fit. I haven’t needed to, however.) As I said, the Fuzzi Bunz One Size will last through your child’s cloth diapering life, and then you can use them for the next critter. 18.95 apiece? This diaper stands out among one size diapers, so as an investment, it’s a bargain. And it’s nothing compared to buying disposables for almost 3 years. Not to mention all those late night, “I forgot to buy diapers!” trips to the closest grocer.
- Ease of Use: Stuff the absorbant layer in the pocket, then pull it out when you change your baby’s diaper. Toss it all in the wash. Easy peasy. I suggest only natural laundry detergents, but at least go for a “free & clear” for all your baby’s laundry.
Got it? It’s a great diaper. I always make sure I have one on hand for nighttime. If you’re choosing a One Size, reach for the cute little Fuzzi Bunz.
Image: From the Fuzzi Bunz Gallery. I heart the royal blue.