One thing I miss when leading a vegetarian lifestyle is hot wings. They are a true carnivore’s food, focusing on the messy deal of gleaning meat from bone. However, it’s not the meat I miss, but the buffalo-style sauce. Why not add a little Frank’s Red Hot to a more vegetarian-friendly dish to get my hot pepper fix? That’s how I came up with these wraps, featuring pan-seared tofu with hot sauce along with the classic additions of ranch or blue cheese and celery. The celery provides a nice crunch, and the dressing mellows the heat of the hot sauce. You can tone it down for picky eaters by using less hot sauce and more dressing.
Buffalo Tofu Wraps–Serves Four
four whole-wheat tortillas
one 16-oz package extra-firm tofu, pressed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp butter or Earth Balance
two stalks celery, chopped
ranch or blue cheese, to taste
1/2 cup hot pepper sauce (I recommend Frank’s Buffalo Sauce)
1. Heat olive oil and butter or margarine in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Thinly slice the pressed tofu into 1/8″ or 1/4″ thick strips.
3. When olive oil and butter/margerine are hot, layer in tofu. Saute until crispy and golden brown, flipping occasionally with tongs.
4. While tofu is sauteeing, set up assembly line of tortillas, celery, and dressings.
5. When tofu is done, add hot sauce to pan and stir for one minute. Remove from heat.
6. Assemble the wraps by placing tofu, celery, and desired amount of dressing in tortillas.
7. Wrap and serve!
[This post was written by Kelli Best-Oliver]
Leave a Reply