When I think of crafters, I imagine women of a certain age with sensible shoes sitting in wallpapered living rooms. They have a crochet needle in one hand and a cat rubbing at their ankle.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission probably thinks the same way. But wait, they’ll change their tune.
Come Wednesday, the US will see crafters differently. Crafters are coming together on Wednesday and for a blog-in to talk to the CPSIA about the negative ramifications of a new law that’s scheduled to be enacted on February 10th. Forbes has great coverage.
The law can be read here, and I’m a little concerned. I like resale shops, I don’t want to see them legislated out of business.
There is some concern that eliminating pthlates and lead from our children’s school supplies will bring up the cost to the classroom. Uh, okay? I’m cool with that, because chemotherapy is super expensive too.
With a giant dose of What the Fuck?
I get that we’re afraid of China and their lead laden toys. I understand that WalMart and the likes have failed to protect consumers, but why are we hell bent of punishing small business? Who is supposed to buy the label? Who is supposed to buy the testing equipment? How many hours should be spent doing this?
Wouldn’t it better to enforce the laws we do have rather than drive small businesses into the ground?
Listen up because these Etsy sellers have sharpened their Crochet hooks and are going to use their outside voices all day Wednesday.
Here’s a small list of bloggers who will participate, it’s a list that’s growing as I write, I’ll be visiting as many of these bloggers as possible.
This is why we use social media. This is a large group of educated voices, they must be heard.
1. Chichiboulie http://www.boulieblog.com
3. iloveplum http://theetsyaddict.blogspot.com
5. mamaroots http://mamaroots.blogspot.com
6. jstinsonjstinson http://jstinson-trailoftreasures.blogspot.com
7. BuggaLove http://buggalove.blogspot.com/
9. rozzissweetpeas http://rozzissweetpeas.blogspot.com/
10. thecleverkitty http://thekittypad.blogspot.com
11. EtsyKids http://etsykids.blogspot.com
12. EclecticaByJan http://jan4geo-glow.blogspot.com
13. mom2twogals http://mom2twogals.blogspot.com
14. beeskneesstudio http://beeskneesstudio.livejournal.com/
15. TrendyBindi http://trendybindis.blogspot.com/
16. Winklepots http://www.winklepots.blogspot.com
18. chronicyarner http://chronicyarner.blogspot.com
19. myminimocs http://myminimocs.blogspot.com
20. goldentwine http://www.goldentwine.blogspot.com
21. kbellabambino http://www.kbellabambino.blogspot.com
24. earthbabyboutique http://earthbabyboutique.blogspot.com
25. colbylanedesigns http://www.colbylanedesigns.blogspot.com
26. sewinggranny http://monashandcraftedgiftsquilts.blogspot.com/
27. joeyandaleethea http://joeyandaleethea.com/blog
28. julianne http://chattyhomemaker.blogspot.com
31. PsychoticHousewife http://confessions-of-a-psychotic-housewife.blogspot.com/
32. chimeracreation http://chimeracrochet.blogspot.com
34. ellasmama918 http://titaniumwoman.blogspot.com
35. TheSupplyCloset http://www.craftyhangover.blogspot.com
36. AthenaWorkman http://athenaworkman.blogspot.com
37. heatherknitz http://heatherknitz.blogspot.com
38. theemptyenvelope http://www.theemptyenvelope.blogspot.com
40. pandawithcookie http://pandawithcookie.blogspot.com/
41. My Aphrodite Jewelry http://www.myaphroditejewelry.com
42. The Common Room http://www.heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com
43. prairiemama www.prairiemama.org
44. madebymelissa http://madebymelissa.blogspot.com
45. EtsyNJ Street Team http://etsynj.blogspot.com
47. theenchantedcupboard http://www.thereluctantcitydweller.blogspot.com/
49. garritygal http://garritygal.blogspot.com/
50. myblessedbaby www.myblessedbaby.blogspot.com
51. PinkadotTots http://www.pinkadottots.com.
52. agoodwitchtoo www.thecoppercauldron.blogspot.com
53. BlockheadRadio www.blockheadradio.blogspot.com
56. SewHappyDesigns http://www.sewhappydesigns.blogspot.com/
57. ChamberryCherry http://www.chamberrycherry.blogspot.com/
58. donnapool http://ddpool.blogspot.com
59. littlepinkplum http://janscraftynest.blogspot.com
60. PinkPosieDesigns www.5isthemagicnumber.blogspot.com
61. MamaJody54 www.mamajody54.blogspot.com
62. LadybugLimited www.ladybuglimited.blogspot.com
63. NewEnglandQuilter http://newenglandquilter.blogspot.com
65. NuxieMade www.nuxiemade.blogspot.com
66. KatieBeanKids http://wahmgroup.com
67. Mama’s Magic Studio http://mamasmagic.blogspot.com
68. AndThen http://smartbottomenterprises.blogspot.com/
69. Livinginthepast http://www.bringinghimback.blogspot.com
71. flyingzoo http://www.flyingzoo-flyingzoo.blogspot.com
72. Dragonfly’s Hollow http://dragonflyshollow.blogspot.com/
74. Tsurfer – http://tsurfer.blogspot.com/
76. Fairywingsboutique http://www.fairywingsboutique.com
77. Secureandsafekids http://www.secureandsafekids.com
79. SDEMKE www.fairywonderful.blogspot.com
80. punkynmunky http://punkynmunky.blogspot.com
81.craftsfromtheheart and mustlovehomedecor http://craftsfromtheheartlinda.blogspot.com
82. cuteandsweet http://www.cuteandsweetdesigns.com
83. maggiesuedesigns http://www.maggiesuedesigns.com
84. Karabu Creations (karabu) http://karabucreations.blogspot.com
85. crazyladybeads http://crazyladybeads.blogspot.com
86. littlebirdcreations http://www.littlebirdcreations.blogspot.com
87. Sunnydaytags http://sunnydaytags.blogspot.com
89. downthestreet http://downthestreetcreations.blogspot.com
90. FaerieRebecca’s Workbench http://faerierebecca.blogspot.com
91. NaturalKids Team blog http://natural-kids.blogspot.com
92. downthestreet http://downthestreetcreations.blogspot.com
93. Pumpkinhaus http://pumpkinhaus.blogspot.com
94. Sarah Jane Studios http://www.sarahjanestudios.com
95. Bobs and Bits http://www.bobsnbits.blogspot.com
96. becauseimme http://www.jdy2.blogspot.com
97. beckykazana http://thefabmissb.blogspot.com/
98. Polar Bear Creations http://polarbearcreations.blogspot.com
101. Kitty Baby Love http://kittybabylove.com
102. TwinkleStarArt http://twinklestarart.typepad.com/twinkle_star_art/blog_index.html
104. ScrapWithNikki http://scrapwithnikki.com/blog.html
106. SoBellaCreations http://sobellacreations.blogspot.com
107. BirchLeaf Designs http://www.birchleafdesigns.blogspot.com
108. EmmasGems http://emmasgemsvintage.blogspot.com
109. FeltArtistic http://thisandthatcraft.blogspot.com
110. Indie Sista’s http://indiesistas.blogspot.com/
111. blueberryjunkie http://blueberryjunkie.blogspot.com
112. Kitschy coo http://kitschycoo.blogspot.com
113. Betani http://betanisbureau.blogspot.com
114. Rosie’s Cozies http://rosiescozies.blogspot.com
115. Chimera http://www.freewebs.com/dragonflyducky/apps/blog/
116. The ChainMaille Lady http://www.thechainmaillelady.blogspot.com
117. curiousworkmanship http://organicbabyfarm.blogspot.com
118. Flossylulus www.flossylulus.blogspot.com
119. Human Touch Designs: http://www.humantouchdesigns.blogspot.com
120. PicklesNPocorn http://www.picklesnpopcorn.com/
121. melaniescrafts http://melaniescrafts.blogspot.com
122. teddy29 http://artbylisab.blogspot.com/
123. organicstills http://organicstills.blogspot.com
124. Jealousydesign: http://jealousydesign.blogspot.com
[This post was written by Jessica Gottlieb.]
Made By Melissa says
This law is very scary. I understand wanting to protect our children, as I type this my 19 month old son is coloring at the table next to me and I want to protect him from everything I can. But the handmade blankets, bibs, clothes, toys and washcloths aren’t the things that are harming him! I am anxiously hoping for an amendment to this law.
there are far to many like Melissa that are just hoping for an amendment in the Law. Everyone need to write to the congressman, write to anyone, sign the online petitions, make your voice heard. Please dont just sit back and hope thid doesnt happen. DO SOMETHING to help.
Yes, and not just the crafters want answers. The American Library Association is trying to get answers on what this means for libraries – yup, libraries. We’ve been told by the ALA to wait for now, but should this law go into effect without adjustments, libraries may have to pull all their children’s books or ban children under 12. If you’re interested, check ala.org for more information.
You can add me to your list…
This mess is just ludicrous.
Kathy Schetterer says
Make sense of this:: I can not sell my hand made children’s clothes after FEBRUARY 10 2009. BUT, if I should want to donate MY CLOTHES to a THRIFT shope or a CONSIGNMENT store,THEY ARE PERMITTED TO SELL MY HAND MADE CHILDREN’S CLOTHES. HELLOOOOOO.
What’s with the double standard???????????
This LEAD LAW will make many micro producers INOCENT CRIMINALS, for many will still go on selling their products,
The Clever Kitty says
The updated list of participating blogs can be seen here:
This may not be a complete list, as only the blogs/bloggers listed are the ones that posted on the thread on Etsy here:
I’m one of those middle-aged crocheters with the cat rubbing my ankle – and I say, Right ON! We haven’t even begun to talk about the adverse effects this will have on day care centers and doctors’ offices/hospitals. Can you say Nightmare In Making?
Yes we need regulation and consumer protection, but this is NOT the way to go about it. Bad regulation hurts us just as badly as no regulation.
Thank you for publishing this list, which includes my blog 🙂 I will be adding more thoughts on my blog later today.
Heather Idoni says
Here is a Dr. Seuss style story about the CPSIA to cheer you just a little —
the rule pointed out by the red arrows did not specify which kind of test shall be used so all you have to do to test your homemade product is lick it once. Still standing? Good, then it is safe to sell.
But in serious tones, this mess smacks of the same govt control that is threatening those who have animals (corporatism aka fascism)….see nonais.org for more info about the USDA program that will put those who own even one chicken, pig, pony, etc under more govt surveillance than illegals, drug dealers or sex offenders.