Every parent wishes for a happy baby…did you know an organic baby is also a happy baby? That’s the premise behind Dr. Sears’ new book HappyBaby: The Organic Guide to Baby’s First 24 Months. Dr. Robert W. Sears, MD is best known for the Vaccine Book and being the son of Martha and William Sears, MD.
From the most respected names in parenting come this definitive book on child rearing the all-natural way. HappyBaby combines decades of medical expertise from Dr. Robert W. Sears, renowned doctor in the Sears family of pediatricians, with the nutritional know-how of Amy Marlow, registered dietitian for the popular HAPPYBABY line of organic baby food. Look no further than between the pages of this jam-packed guide to find answers to critically important questions in the life of your baby, such as:
- What should I eat when nursing my baby to ensure the most nutritional feedings?
- What simple tips can help me manage the inevitable stress that comes with a new baby in the house?
- When do I introduce my child to solid foods, and how can I do it in a safe and fun way?
- How can I develop healthy eating habits in my children?
- This groundbreaking book offers a proactive, harmonious approach to parenting that’s easier, greener, and just plain better for your precious infant or toddler.
I have to say, I am little bit annoyed this book is marketed along with a brand name in baby food, when making your own baby food is truly the best way to nourish your child.
HappyBaby: The Organic Guide to Baby’s First 24 Months is laid out very nicely and very user friendly. There were a couple things when reviewing this book that stood out to me:
- Fluoride: In discussing vitamins and minerals for breast-fed babies, Dr. Sears states that, “If Baby is exclusively breast-fed after 6 months (no tap water or infant formula), she may need a supplement. Ask your pediatrician about fluoride drops. Supplementation advice varies according to where you live and how much fluoride is in your water.” I have asked my pediatrician, as well as two pediatric dentists. All agree, systemic fluoride is not effective no matter where you live. Topical fluoride protects teeth.
- Organic formulas: Dr. Sears warns organic formulas aren’t always better, as some contain corn syrup or brown rice syrup as sweeteners. “This is not a wise nutritional move for Baby.” I found this advice enlightening, as I am one to always assume organic is better.
- BPA-free sippy cups: Sigg is included in Dr. Sears’ list of BPA-free bottles. I guess they will need to do a rewrite on that one!
Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in order to write the review. I will be giving the book to a pregnant mother living in poverty.
[…] Dr. Sears’ book Happy Baby: The Organic Guide to Baby’s First 24 Months, comes a line of organic baby food. […]