Golden Cauliflower with Split Peas, page 125
- 3/4 cup dried split green peas 175 mL
- 2 tbsp olive oil 25 mL
- 1 tsp cumin seed 5 mL
- 1 tbsp minced ginger root 15 mL
- 1 tbsp minced turmeric root 15 mL
- 1 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece cinnamon, crushed 1
- 1 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece dried licorice root, crushed 1
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets 1
- 1 cup chopped scapes 250 mL
1. In a medium saucepan, cover split peas with 2 cups (500 mL) water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until peas are just tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and licorice; toast for 1 minute or until seeds turn brown.
3. Add cauliflower and cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add scapes; replace cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Stir in cooked peas and warm through.
Serves 4 to 6
Any fresh summer vegetables will work well in this low-fat recipe.
Scapes are the green shoots of garlic that grow above ground.
Excerpted from The Healing Herbs Cookbook by Pat Crocker © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.
Leave a Reply