I love going out to breakfast with my son because he is sure to order a stack of pancakes, which means I will get to finish his plate. I love pancakes, but they aren’t very healthy, and I am avoiding gluten most of time. Here is a recipe I tried yesterday for gluten-free pancakes.
Grain-free, Almond Gluten-Free Pancakes Recipe
- 2 organic eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 ground raw almonds
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- coconut oil for the skillet
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice, and almond milk to the eggs. Whisk until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the quinoa flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and arrowroot.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet whisking continuously.
- Grind almonds in a blender. Fold them into the batter.
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet and cook pancakes. Flip when bubbles appear in the middle of the pancakes.
- Serve toppped with fresh fruit, ground almonds, maple syrup, etc.
Quinoa is a seed and is a plant-based source of protein. It is not a grain. It is more closely related to chard, spinach, and beets. It is complete protein.http://ancientharvest.com/ancient-grains/organic-quinoa/ You may be able to find it locally grown, as we can. Quinoa flour makes these pancakes delicious and grain-free. The additon of the almonds makes them packed with protein! You’ll never miss the grain of traditonal pancakes and can eat these guilt-free.
This recipe is adapted from Dr. Hyman.