This rich medley of crunchy cashews and fresh vegetables with aromatic seasoning is a wonderful dinner entrée. Serve this with a simple green salad.
- 11⁄2 cups whole raw cashews, divided 375 mL
- 1⁄2 cup filtered water 125 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, 30 ml divided
- 2 tsp curry powder 10 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt, divided 2 mL
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli florets cut into 1⁄2-inch 125 mL (1 cm) pieces (see Tips)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot 125 mL
1. In a blender, combine 1 cup (250 mL) cashews, water, 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, curry powder and 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Blend at high speed until smooth. Cover and set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine broccoli and carrot. Add remaining salt and lemon juice and toss until well combined. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes, until softened.
3. Add remaining whole cashews and cashew curry sauce to softened vegetables. Toss until well combined. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Replace the curry powder with an equal amount of garam masala and the broccoli with an equal amount of cauliflower.
I often add 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated gingerroot to the vegetables in Step
Try substituting an equal amount of thinly sliced leafy greens, such as spinach, kale, dandelion greens or mustard greens, in place of the broccoli.
I prefer to use organic sea salt. This type of salt is classified as a whole food and is said to contain many trace minerals. If salt intake is something you are concerned about, feel free to use less than called for or omit it completely.
Makes 1 serving