It is frequently touted that 60 is the new 40, and that means that today’s grandparents are more active and more technologically savvy than their predecessors. As you embark on a gift-shopping quest for the grandparents this holiday season, bypass the slippers, sweaters and robes. Ponder these five options instead, and get them something that they can really use and that will make their golden years enjoyable.
1. Electronic readers offer the options that seniors appreciate when engrossing in a captivating book. How many times has Grandma complained about the fine print when she cracks open a novel? With an electronic reader, she can now choose a setting for larger print. If a complicated plot results in her forgetting who a character is, all Grandma needs to do it highlight the character’s name and a reference will pop up. These reading tablets, such as the Kindle, or Nook, also enable seniors to instantly download a new book without having to venture out to the bookstore or library. Be sure to accompany this gift with a gift card for download credits so that Grandma or Grandpa can immediately start choosing and downloading some reading selections.
2. Scrapbook kits are an engaging and creative way for grandparents to organize those boxes of old family photographs. They also provide an excellent bonding opportunity with older grandchildren. When the scrapbook becomes a project that Grandma and grandchild work on together, the child hears the family tales and learns of his or her family roots. Purchase a couple of scrapbooking albums and some gift cards for an arts and crafts center, and Grandma can go shopping for the themed page papers and decorative embellishments of her choice. One of the scrapbooking printers that prints and cuts unique page enhancements with a variety of ornate cut edges and patterns will make a nice completion to the scrapbook kit. The result will be an organized family album of handwritten memories, identified snapshots and personal touches that will be cherished by future generations.
3. Electronic streaming devices grant the grandparents instant access to movies and television programs on their television screen. If Grandma loves to spend a rainy or snowy day watching the latest film releases, she can choose from hundreds of titles. Does Grandpa long for the television programming that he once enjoyed? Numerous classic television series are available to satisfy that occasional desire for the comfort of nostalgia. Unlike mail-in setups, no one needs to remember to place the disc into the mailbox after viewing. With film streaming, the grandparents can instantly access entertainment and cuddle up with the grandchildren, a movie and some of Grandma’s home-baked treats.
4. Digital picture frames display a constant slide show of their favorite photographs. Some of today’s digital frames even record short audio notes. Consider loading a series of photographs of your child, record a loving message from him or her to the grandparents, and the proud recipients will gaze upon this personalized gift every day.
5. For a multipurpose gift that entertains, monitors and assists, the CareConnect system is an ideal gifting choice for grandparents. The CareConnect system is a computer monitoring system that helps seniors to stay healthy and connected. Connection to the system monitors health conditions, alerts changes in health status, sends medication reminders and organizes scheduled appointments to help seniors stay on top of their daily health care routine. The CareConnect system also includes applications for simple email sending and receiving and instant video chatting, enabling easy communication with children and grandchildren. There is also a photograph application for sending, receiving and sharing photographs, and the display monitor acts as a digital picture frame. The CareConnect system gives grandparents the independence and connection with family that they crave, and it gives you peace of mind to know that your loved one is never truly alone.
The electronic items above are easy to use, requiring no prior computer experience. You may need to devote a few minutes to help Grandma or Grandpa with initial setup. For all of those gifts that they assembled and stuffed with batteries for you all those years ago, it only seems fair to return the favor. Once you show them how easy these things are to use, the grandparents will enjoy them immensely for years to come.