The weather has shifted to rain and cooler temperatures here in northern California. Seasonal changes bring on new cravings for comfort foods. As we heat our home for the first time since last winter, my son asked for cornbread. Here is a simple recipe for organic, vegan chia seed corn bread made in a cast iron skillet.
Organic, Vegan, Chia Seed Skillet Corn Bread Recipe
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet into the oven to heat.
- 1 1/2 cups organic cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups organic unbleached white flour
- 1 Tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons-1/4 cup organic chia seeds depending on how much you like chia
Stir into the dry mixture:
- 2 1/4 cups organic soymilk, almond milk, or water
- 1/4 organic oil of your choice
Pour the mixture into the hot skillet and bake for 30 minutes on the top shelf. Serve straight from the skillet warm!
This recipe has been adapted from the The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook